[TR] More Differential Questions

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 20:44:37 MDT 2010

Is there a good way to check the differential without removing the back
cover? Skip Gurnee was kind enough to send me one he had lying around(mine
is destroyed), and I want to know if I should just pop this one in, or
should I replace anything first? I searched the web but couldn't find
anything that describes how to test a used differential.

Here's what I've found.. With the input flange on ground (the ass is
pointing up), holding the axle flanges in my hand I can feel about 5 degrees
rotational play. Is that a good test?

Now. If I put one of the axle flanges on the ground and grab the input
flange there's the same rotation but it feels different. At first there's
easy rotational play (a degree or two). As you turn the flange more you feel
(and hear) the internal gears "load up". Total free rotation is about 5-8
degrees. I haven't pulled the rear cover so I can't see inside.

If I look at the Bentley manual it appears that the input flange has very
coarse splines, which may be  the cause of the "easy" rotational slop. The
much is allowed?

Any ideas?

Johnnie

'67 TR4A