[TR] use of overdrive

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 25 14:32:29 MDT 2010

> But as also has been mentioned, skip the whole thing since the
> difference is so negligible.

I know there are different gear sets and OD ratios, so perhaps this would
not apply in all cases.  But for my A-type & early TR6 gear set, 2nd OD is
almost a perfect split between 2nd direct and 3rd direct.  Since the spread
between 2nd & 3rd is kind of wide, going through 2nd OD and 3rd direct does
shorten 0-60 time noticeably, especially if your engine has been modified.

> The OD's on these
> cars were fitted with a sleeve and smaller piston and spring in the
> accumulator reducing the capacity of the accumulator.

Which is exactly the modification I was referring to.  The IRS Triumphs had
the same sleeve, piston, etc. as the Healeys did.

> I prefer the J-type just for the reason of drive line shock

Tastes vary, of course.  Personally, I much prefer the A-type in a sports
car.  The J-type shifts horribly slow, IMO, making it useful only as a 5th
gear for cruising.

And any time I want to minimize driveline shock (which is actually most of
the time), I just use the clutch when shifting into OD.  Still, nothing else
quite matches the feeling I get when romping down the road, and the engine
just barely starts to lose power in 2nd gear, so flip the switch and
suddenly the front suspension pops up and its right back on top of the power
curve.

-- Randall