[TR] TR3 Engine Breather Pipe, thanks to all

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 25 11:32:19 MDT 2010

I recently fitted a TR3 Breather pipe to my TR4A having been advised by
quite a few people that that would help cure the oil leak from my rear crank
bearing. It increased with speed so that at 80mph in 50 miles or so it
disgorged perhaps a pint and a half onto the underside of the chassis,
(particularly on the right side) and onto the rear bumper and boot lid
bottom. The theory being that crankcase overpressure due to blowback past
the rings was forcing oil out of the scroll seal at the back, and the TR4A
venting system was grossly inadequate particularly for an engine with 70k
miles or more.
Have now had the opportunity to test the new breather mod and  now report a
very dramatic improvement at 80+mph. Have'nt measured figures yet but after
100 miles at motorway speed the sump has needed no oil adding and the back
of the car has stayed completely clean.
So thank you all who chimed in with their experiences and advice, you know
who you are.
Hope this may be useful to someone.
This list does what the  UK BBC was originally chartered to do, viz: Inform,
Entertain and Educate. I look forward to many more years of I E and E with
it!

David Brister
1967 TR4A