[TR] use of overdrive

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 08:59:01 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/25/2010 6:44:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk writes:

As for engagement and dis-engagement, the
'thump' tends to vary with  individual
overdrive units. Some engage
'violently', some do it in a  more 'slurred'
fashion

John,
The early TR4 A-Type OD gearbox's in my 62 TR3B & 62 TR4 are what we  call
"Bangers"  They like launch you forward when engaged at full  throttle.  I
much prefer those as compared to the later A - Type which  you refer to as
"Slurred".  That is a very good description.  My  later 68 TR250 and 71TR6
A-Types OD's are "Slurrers".  The 68/70 GT6+, 70  Spitfire MK3 & 76 Spitfire
1500 OD's are "Slurrers" as well.  On the  70 MK3 I tried to use OD out of 1st
gear whilst autoxing so I wouldn't need to  shift but the pause during the
"slurring" seemed like it took up too much  time.

Whilst touring the great thing for me with the OD's is to use them in 3rd
gear on gray roads with various elevations where the speed limit is 45 to 50
 MPH.  I like to go back and forth depending on the load on the engine
using non OD to climb the hills w/o having to shift.  I don't do anything  but
flip the switch going up or down.

Cheers,
Darrell