[TR] GL5 in a diff

Brian Jones Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Wed Aug 25 06:14:25 MDT 2010

Thanks Randall - there is a lot of contradictory guff online on oil topics
generally and GL4/5 in particular, where threads seem to get rather heated,
rather quickly.

I'll look for some MT1-standard oil. One thread I found stated that synthetics
labeled for GL4 or 5 applications do not have the sulphur additives that you
mentioned, I guess they will be rated MT1.

Like this one: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

"Recommended for use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gear
applications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5, MT-1,
MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037), Mack GO-J, or the
differential (hypoid) gear oil specifications from all domestic and foreign
manufacturers such as GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler. Can also be used in axles
where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended."
Brian