[TR] use of overdrive

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 21:18:48 MDT 2010

Gary,

Not sure what quick is in your view but I flick the overdrive switch
off while the clutch is in to shift from 2nd to 3rd hence I've gone
from 2nd OD to 3rd non-OD.  Sometimes you have to develop a feel for
the shift into 3rd as the OD tends to make the syncros not work
perfectly.  I've had an A-type OD in my TR6 for 13 years and my method
is to NOT let up on the gas or push the clutch in when going up
through the gears.  When downshifting I stay on the gas a little but
not full throttle if I'm slowing down to get off an exit but sometimes
I'll get on the throttle if my intent is to accelerate quickly.  In
fact I love the kick in the pants the OD gives you when you kick it in
under full power.  My opinion is that they were designed to work that
way...I know lots of others take a different approach with babying
their ODs and I'll probably hear about it...and I've never had a
problem with my OD other than the wires getting kicked and coming
unplugged in the passenger footwell.  In fact I get more concerned
about the jolt the OD takes when engaged and not under load than when
under load.  It sounds and feels to me like a much more damaging and
less smooth process when its not under load.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net