[TR] Installing Heat Shield

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Aug 24 11:21:32 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/23/2010 12:53:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
tom628 at verizon.net writes:
> Scott: I'd think you'd want the foil side up.  If you place the foil
> against
> the hot surface, it's just a conductor and gets as hot as the floor.. With
>
> the felt down against the floor, the felt acts as an insulator, and then
> the
> foil reflects that heat and reduces transmission into the interior of the
> car.  JMO

One would think.  The best place for the foil (which reflects infrared
(radiant) heat) is under the floor board.  That is where they put it on the
Spitfire.  But it needs to be waterproof and most of what you buy is not.

But since it is not waterproof, the next best thing is to located it under
the carpet.  Laying the foil side against the floor boards puts it in
contact with the sheetmetal but the contact is less than perfect and there will be
gaps.  And the mode of heat conduction through the gaps will be via
radiation and in this case the foil will reflect the heat back.

But practically speaking, I don't think it makes much difference either
way.  The backing insulation is what is really important so get that in there
with or without the foil, foil up or foil down.

Dave