[TR] Brake Fluid Reservoir

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 23 05:29:08 MDT 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 12:33:51 am wbeech at flash.net wrote:
> Bob,
> I thought about that but was afraid the whole can would come apart.  What
> type of solder and heat source did you use?
> Bill

Bill,

If I remember correctly,  I assembled the reservoir as would be expected for
normal use but with copper washers. Then I cleaned the entire bottom surfaces
with a wire wheel.

I used acid core solder and a bernz-o-matic torch using minimal heat.

I first circled the 2 outlets to insure a good seal and then proceeded to fill
the entire bottom of the reservoir with solder.

With acid core, you have to be careful because the acid flux will sometimes
cause a bubble which when washed look like a potential leak, that is why the
cleaner the surface is the better the application.

After it cooled, I washed the solder with soap, water and a old tooth brush to
insure all the flux was gone.

Before I installed the reservoir, I attached the two lines and suspended the
unit in a vice and pored in some fluif and waited a day to make sure there
were no leaks.

Here it is over 30 years later and still functional.

Bob