[TR] Ever hear of an solid axle tube pulling away from the Differential housing - TR4

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:45:17 MDT 2010

I was at a friends shop and he was working on a TR4a  where the axle tube
had pulled out of the differential case.   I'd never heard of that before.

Well -  I was giving the underside of my car a cleaning at lunch today and
boy does it look like my Axle may be trying to pull out as well.

http://tiny.cc/ql0id    this is a pic from under the rear of the car pointed
at the drivers side of where the axle tube mates with the hogs head.

Hopefully paint just never got into that area.  I'm going to put some paint
back on it and see if I see more clean metal - it will either move in and
out and remove the paint  or pull out more...

I have one of those mystery clunks as well.

Anyone got any ideas or more informatoin here?

This weekend is Toyota transmission install weekend.  I've got all the parts
together for Hermans conversion.  Wish me luck!

Chris

63 T