[TR] Easiest Way

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 16:43:59 MDT 2010

Maybe I'm missing something, Terry.  The cover has to come off the engine,
because the seal only goes in/out from the engine side of the cover.  So
it's going to be just like before.

Mine didn't want to come out, so I laid the cover on two blocks of wood (so
no possibility of deforming the sealing edge) and used a small pry bar (with
an angled tip) as a punch to drive the seal out.

Don't forget the fiber washer that goes on the support stud.  It's supposed
to be there, but is often missing and apparently not included in the gasket
sets.  I cut the corner off an H4 carb gasket (which was in the set but not
used for my car), which seems to make a good substitute.

Also don't forget to polish up and grease the sealing surface of the front
hub before reassembling.  If you can't get a nice shiny surface, I would
suggest installing a Speedi-sleeve.

-- Randall