[TR] Head Studs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 16 15:12:30 MDT 2010

> I just rebuilt this engine, it has never been run; but I failed to
> check the
> studs and want to go back and check them, replace if needed.

I'll suggest an alternate approach, Guy.  One at a time, take off the nut &
flat washer, then spin a new nut on with your fingers.  Use a thin feeler
gauge to check that "finger tight" leaves the nut touching the head.  If so,
and there is no visible damage to the threads, then the stud is almost
certainly fine.

The only "hidden" damage I have ever seen (in more decades than I care to
count) is the stud being stretched in the upper threaded area.

Trying to remove the studs with the head in place would be a gamble, IMO, as
would trying to reuse the head gasket.  It might work, but it might not.

-- Randall