[TR] Quieting Facet Fuel Pumps

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 03:27:03 MDT 2010

When 'uncle jack' blew his fuel pump last year in Vancouver (it was the only
failure we had of any sort) a BCTR member most kindly donated a new Facet pump
he carried as a spare in his TR4. The donor told me that in his experience the
operating pressure of that pump was about 8 psi and most Triumphs need around
2.5 to 3 psi max. To get round the clatter, he also donated a restrictor to
put
in the fuel line. This looked homemade and was a piece of drilled bar.
The bar
had a small hole drilled through it - about 1/16th and was
considerably smaller
than the internal diameter of the fuel pipe. Held in
place with a hose clamp on
either end. Not sure what additional load that
restrictor put on the pump itself
but (a) it stopped the 'clacking' noise of
the new pump on first start and (b)
got us to California and then back to
Denver CO with no further trouble. AFAIK,
it's still there? Phil Ethier?
Jonmac