[TR] Pushrod and tappet trouble on my TR3A

Peter pfullam at nycap.rr.com
Sat Aug 14 21:08:24 MDT 2010

Aux Liste,

I got around the lifting tappet problem by making a hold-down tool out of a
12" piece of coat hanger wire. I put a 90 deg. bend 5/16" from one end of
the wire. I pulled up on the pushrod about 1/4 to 3/8". That's enough to
tell if the tappet is stuck to it. If it is, reach down alongside the
pushrod with the bent end, and press on the top edge of the tappet until it
drops off. I actually use it to hold each tappet when pulling the pushrods,
so the question doesn't come up.

Pete F
63 TR4