[TR] OK, the IRS differential is shot. Now what?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 12 13:32:21 MDT 2010

> 5. Try to repair it myself. How much is that?

Depends a lot on just how bad things are inside.  I did my Stag diff myself
(which is nearly identical to the TR6), and it wasn't too bad.  I was lucky,
the gears were OK, so it just needed bearings, thrust washers, seals, etc.
Seems to me it was around $150 for all the parts (with some creative
shopping).

I didn't use any "unobtanium" tools, just common shop tools that I already
had (dial indicator, hydraulic press, micrometer, etc) and a few that I made
for the purpose (mostly a big lever to help hold various things from
turning).  It did wind up taking me several weeks to complete the project,
but that was mostly because I ordered the wrong bearing twice!

Sorry I never wrote it up, but you can get some idea from the photos at
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/Stag%20diff/

If the gears are damaged though, I would suggest sourcing a used one and
then rebuilding it (which is actually what I did with the Stag).  Just the
ring & pinion run over $400 new, and I'm not sure if the other gears are
even available new.  Or, I believe the gears are common with other Triumph
diffs, so maybe you can find a used diff for another car and use the gears
from it.  I've got several TR3A rear axles laying around, likely their gears
are fine.

-- Randall