[TR] OK, the IRS differential is shot. Now what?

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 19:59:46 MDT 2010

At first it started with some whirling noises. Then it started grinding.
Leaving work today  the car backed up about 4 feet and it felt like I hit
something and stopped dead.  Talk about your "clunk". Tomorrow it'll come
home on a flatbed.  I know this isn't going to be cheap.

So, what are my options?

1. Get it repaired by a local TR repair shop, assuming they have the tools.
How much is that?

2. Update (upgrade) to a Nissan differential ala Bob Danielson. How much is
that?

3. Have the guys at TRF repair it. How much is that?

4. Go to a british junk yard and get somebody else's junk. How much is that?

5. Try to repair it myself. How much is that?

6. Other. How much is that?

Recommendations? I've had the car since 1970 and would hate to part with it.
The list above is in my order of preference, but bow to the wisdom of the
experienced ones.

Johnnie in beautiful San Diego

'67 TR4A IRS

'71 Volvo 1800E