[TR] OK, the IRS differential is shot. Now what?

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Thu Aug 12 11:25:30 MDT 2010

> At first it started with some whirling noises.
If my Dad had been riding with you he probably would have warned you
of bad bearings before you heard them.

> Then it started grinding.
> Leaving work today  the car backed up about 4 feet and it felt like
> I hit
> something and stopped dead.  Talk about your "clunk". Tomorrow it'll
> come
> home on a flatbed.  I know this isn't going to be cheap.
Since there seem to be a few British shops in San Diego I would look
into that first. They will need a few special tools and I would like
to know that they have rebuilt them before. However, since yours is
locked up you may be searching the junk yards for the best one you can
find anyway. (turning any of the input or drive flanges should be
perfectly smooth) Some rear axles last forever and some don't. I
wouldn't be afraid of another used one if you or someone else checks
it out carefully.

A Nissan diff will also be from a junk yard, may need to be rebuilt
plus whatever it takes to put it in a TR. Sounds more expensive but I
don't really know.

Allen