[TR] Replicate Cal. License Plates?

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 19:56:35 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----

From: Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>

> Not much of a problem...IF you had a TR3B, many of which were
> not sold and, therefore, titled until 1963! ;)

That might work.  But the law authorizing the CA YOM program refers to the
"model-year when the vehicle was manufactured" and authorizes the DMV to
make their own determination as to when that was.  I'm guessing it would
have to be one of the last few (completed in Sept or Oct 62) in order to
convince them it was a 1963 model.  They probably wouldn't accept a car made
in May 62 as a 63 model.

==AM==
Perhaps not. OTOH, that likely was one of the main reasons that one often
finds the "STC-xx" plates on
Triumphs, serving as somewhat "official" notice that the manufacturer
considered that car to be a
19xx model at time of first sale. Besides, some of the last TR3Bs were built
quite late in 1962 and possible
didn't even reach our shores until 1963.

[Kinda like some folks here in the US who insist on their early Spitfires
being 1962 models, when the car wasn't
even officially introduced in the US until January 1963! :-) ]

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us