[TR] Replicate Cal. License Plates?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 10:01:55 MDT 2010

> Not much of a problem...IF you had a TR3B, many of which were
> not sold and,
> therefore, titled until 1963! ;)

That might work.  But the law authorizing the CA YOM program refers to the
"model-year when the vehicle was manufactured" and authorizes the DMV to
make their own determination as to when that was.  I'm guessing it would
have to be one of the last few (completed in Sept or Oct 62) in order to
convince them it was a 1963 model.  They probably wouldn't accept a car made
in May 62 as a 63 model.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

Of course, it no doubt depends on which clerk you get.  I intentionally went
to one of the better local branches, and they still didn't seem to know very
much about the laws for old cars.  There was a manager who claimed to be
president of the Studebaker club on my first visit, but by my third visit
she wouldn't even talk to me.  Fortunately, by knowing which section of
vehicle code I was trying to use, I got them to send my application to
Sacramento, where it got approved.

Randall