[TR] Replicate Cal. License Plates?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 23:19:40 MDT 2010

> I have one of the original California black license plates
> for my TR3
> in quite decent shape. Does anyone know if there is someone
> out there
> that replicates metal ones for a second plate?

There are several places that do this, eg,
http://www.licenseplates.tv/1963-california-stat-1570.html

The use of such plates on the road in CA is likely illegal, though.  And if
you don't already have a current registration for them, you are supposed to
produce both plates for inspection before the DMV will give you a new
registration.  That said, the clerk that handled my TR3 didn't even look at
the second plate.

BTW, "black" plates are not eligible for the "Year of Manufacture" (or YOM)
program in CA.  Instead, you have to demonstrate that the plates you have
were originally assigned to your car.  The DMV clerk that processed my
initial application did not know that, and the YOM paperwork was rejected by
Sacramento.  Fortunately for me, the previous owner's mother-in-law still
lives in the area, and for some reason still had a
registration slip from 1978!

Randall