[TR] wood inside doors

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 19:30:27 MDT 2010

> I've decided to use my old ones and have filled the holes with the best
> wood
> putty/filler I could find.

Another way to deal with this issue is with hardwood dowels, readily
available at any lumberyard, Home Depot, etc.

Choose a suitable size, based on the existing hole, then drill into the old
wood with that size drill bit.  Coat the dowel with wood glue (or even
Elmer's will work well enough), tap it into the hole, wait for the glue to
dry, and cut it off flush.  The result is as strong as the original wood
(maybe even stronger); and the dowel will take threads just like the
original wood.  You can also repeat the process if you have multiple,
overlapping holes.

MUCH better than wood putty, IMO.

-- Randall