[TR] K N AGAIN.........LOL

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sat Apr 24 17:52:40 MDT 2010

Gary Nafziger wrote:
> Just purchased K and N's for my tr-6 and then found the research on the
> various products!  I plan on using them but feel that there is another angle
> to the question which is engine wear.  This is also probably much harder to
> research.  How much is engine life shortened or lengthened by allowing various
> amounts of  particles into the engine from the various elements?  Of course
> that depends on the "particles" size, structure of the particles ect.

My GT6 had them installed when I bought it.  It was pumping oil at a
rate of about 50-75 mi/qt, so, because I horribly busy at work and time
was short, I decided to do an emergency re-ring job over the upcoming
long Labor Day weekend.  I was a little astonished at the internal
condition.  Every engine I've torn down (and that's a _lot_ of `em over
the years) had at least some small vestige of cylinder honing left in
the cylinders, even if the hone marks could only be seen and couldn't be
felt.  This engine looked like it had been running with lapping paste
instead of oil.  Not a sign of hone marks in any of the cylinders.

The oil wasn't good, either, because the crank journals weren't pretty
to look at, so it could easily have been a combination of things--lack
of oil changes, improper or inadequate servicing of the K&N filters, who
knows?  (But, usually, really dirty oil will produce vertical scoring in
the cylinders because of hard particles stuck in the rings, more than
general wear.) Without knowing the history of the car, it was impossible
to know for sure, but, at the first opportunity, the filters came off
and paper ones went on (later, washable foam filters).  All that was
thirteen years ago. But, that's what happens when too much dirt gets
into the cylinders....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....