[TR] Independent air filter test

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Fri Apr 23 10:56:50 MDT 2010

Hi Michael:

Those are indeed good ideas for measuring, but the subject is trickier than
one might imagine. (In a different lifetime I used to develop testing
equipment in the pulp & paper industry.) Comparing paper before and after any
process involves having to control humidity to rather a precise degree. Bone
dry weight is quite different from when at normal atmospheric humidity. Lignin
levels, fibre diameter, curl etc could all have changed due to the abrasive
effect of the air flow. (I refer to his test sheets of course, not the primary
filter media being compared which are different types of material).

Ceteris paribus, I think that the colour test the guy has done has probably a
very good relative value. Absolute measurement level is definitely debatable.

I'm a great believer in using K&Ns (I have them on my triple Stromberg setup),
but I don't have any difficulty in believing that they provide less filtration
than a more restrictive paper filter. Less resistance to air flow just has to
mean less obscuring material and shorter mean particle path through the filter
web. For me, I have found that the TR6 is prone to running over rich due to
input restrictions as the filter fills in. Running jet black with soot is
surely tougher on the engine and exhaust than a bit of extra micro-dust.
Anyway, I live near a lake in a humid environment; dust is less of an issue
than pollen. And that sticky stuff gets caught by my K&Ns pretty well, judging
by the strange colours they turn during the season.

Overall, for me the deciding factor is that the K&Ns look nicer than the
standard paper units. And despite all the scientific discussion being pushed
around, that is really why I installed the things.

Best regards,

Mark