[TR] Independent air filter test

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Thu Apr 22 16:44:12 MDT 2010

thenicholls at verizon.net wrote:
> Justin, Randall and list,
>
> Did some searching around and found this test very interesting:  http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I'd already put in a couple of cents' worth on this thread, but, I guess
it was too big.  This test reminds me of a couple of things from the
heavy-duty diesel market.  Filtration is a big deal with big
diesels--every manufacturer wants high mileage between rebuilds because
that's a reputation builder.  I know of no HD diesel manufacturer that
has certified K&Ns for use.

More importantly, they do test filters.  One of the things that was
found was paper filters get better over time (up to a point), and the
general recommendation was that instead of changing them frequently, the
filter should be cleaned, not by blowing air through the filter, but by
tamping them on a hard surface to shake off the surface dust, clean the
housing and reinstall, and change the filter every other cycle (or if
the filter drop reached 28-30" H2O--this certainly wouldn't be
recommended with a naturally-aspirated engine, but, all diesels today
depend upon turbos and the suction on the inlet side of the turbo is far
higher than for a conventional gasoline engine).  The thinking was that
larger particles blocked smaller openings in the weave of the paper and
kept more small particles out.

That said, the testing mentioned at the link above certainly could have
been more scientific.  Color is only a rough indicator.  I would have
been more impressed with a test that took a tare weight of the second
filter, and weighed each sample to see the total filter load by weight,
and an analysis by particle size would have been more illuminating, but,
that's probably beyond the guy's research budget.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....