[TR] TR6 door handle and window winder pin 'trick of the trade'

Brian Lanoway blanoway at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 18 08:59:02 MDT 2010

I just spent more than a few minutes admiring Bob Danielsons TR6 leather
interior on his website.  I too would like to thank Bob for the effort he
puts into his projects and web site  this has proved invaluable on many
occasions for me.  Bobs new leather interior is absolutely gorgeous!

I would like to add our local clubs trick for installing those nasty door
handle and window crank pins in a TR6.  Its actually very simple  you can
literally install a handle pin in a minute or two at most - without cursing
- with this technique.  Heres the trick.

Find an older style wire coat hanger  you need one thats made of thicker
gauge wire.  Cut the wire hanger into a one foot long or so straight length.
Put the door handle or window crank in your hand; insert the coat hanger
into the pin holes on the reverse side of the handle so that the cut end
lines up with the outer diameter of the mounting boss.  Take a pair of side
cutters and cut a notch in the wire hanger so you have a notch on the other
side of the mounting boss.  The idea here is once the handle is installed;
you insert the longer wire hanger through the backside of the handle into
the mounting hole and then simply bend the coat hanger back and forth to
break the wire off at the notch.  This will result in a pin of the exact
length residing correctly in the handle assembly, locking it in place.

A bit of a caution here, most of the newer wire hangers are of a thinner
gauge so youll have to scrounge around your closets for a thicker gauge
hanger thats close to the diameter of the original locking pin.

This trick may be well known elsewhere, but Id like to give our local LBC
restoration wizard; Ted Mooby, credit for introducing the trick to me.
Cheers,

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg