[TR] TR3A popping out of 3rd gear.

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 19:43:54 MDT 2010

 Hi Dave,

You might try different gear oil in the box. ISTR a lot of folks who put 20W50
motor oil in the box had problems with it popping out of 3rd gear. Especially
synthetic motor oil.... Too slippery for the gearbox. And, if using motor oil
instead of gear oil, should only use non-detergent "racing" motor oil.

Unfortunately it might as easily need some work and a proper rebuild.

I hope it's just a matter of using different oil.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
amfoto1 at aol.com
'62 TR4 CT17602L
http://www.triumphowners.com/640

The gear shift on my TR3A tends tends to slip out of 3rd gear. Is
fixing this going to involve getting into the gearbox or is there
something more cosmetic I can do?

  And while I'm here, thank to all those who responded to my enquiry
about installing the disc brake pads. It turned out that I had not
pushed the pistons fully back into the calipers. Duh!

  Dave