[TR] Changing TR6 Rear Diff Mounts

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Apr 16 11:39:18 MDT 2010

In a message dated 4/16/2010 10:19:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
wsb1960tr3a at att.net writes:
>      What's involved in changing the front &rear differential mounts on a
> TR6? Do you have to completely drop the diff or can you loosen bolts and
> slide
> the new mounts in? Does anything else have to come out?     Also, I am
> "waking
> up" a low mileage car that has sat since the 80's. I topped up the diff
> and
> now it is pretty wet on the outside. Are there other leak sources besides
> the
> pinion seal in front?     TIA,

Hi Bill.

The differential mounts on four studs that extend down from the frame.  The
diff mounts must be lowered enough to clear these studs, approximately 4 -
6 inches.  You will have to disconnect the driveshaft to get it to drop that
far.  You may have to disconnect the half shafts as well.  Once you have
gone that far dropping the differential out altogether is no more work,
really.

Oil can leak out of any seal and joint.  There are three seals, pinion and
two half shaft seals.  There is a gasket where the front and rear sections
join together.  This joint can leak.  Another potential source are the fill
and drain plugs.  Using pipe dope on these threads can help.

Cheers

Dave