[TR] Identifying Mk III Engine Block Externally

Ernest Husmann ehusmann53 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 14:48:56 MDT 2010

Wayne:

Try this link:

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/historymk3.html

The most accurate way to tell what engine you have are the engine numbers
stamped on on a boss located on the block just below the head.  If the numbers
are not readable then the bolt on the lower pulley; if this bolt head is
bigger than 1.5 inches it is a large journal 1296; if smaller than 1.5 inches
it is a small journal 1296 or possibly an 1147 which would be an incorrect
engine for a Mk3.

I am not aware that any 1296 came with a single carb; I believe the single
carbs were only on 1500 motors; but then I don't consider myself an expert on
the subject.

Good luck

Ernie