[TR] First ride

D&B Lambert blambert at socal.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 11:59:26 MDT 2010

The guy who used to do the zip out rear windows for the 3's and 4's (Jim
Thurmond of Canoga Park Upholstery) has retired; I don't know if the folks
who bought his shop still does them or not.  Jim charged $200 to modify a
stock top; and that was several years ago.

Last year I thought I wanted one for the 3, so I borrowed one from a club
member that had been done by Jim, took it to a local shop and had them
modify my stock top similar to the one Jim had done.  Cost was $175.  Works
great - when I use it.  It turns out that when I want the top up for sun
protection on a long drive, I usually have the side curtains out, which
gives me plenty of flow-thru ventilation without unzipping the rear window.
In retrospect, I pretty much wasted the one seventy five.

I've noticed that others, however, drive with the side curtains in and the
back window unzipped, so I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Dennis