[TR] TR3 Brake system question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 20:38:15 MDT 2010

> I have the 5-way connection; the brake light switch and a questionable
> restrictor valve - a part that is no longer available.   What
> is its purpose
> and how will I tell if it is working.

More accurately, it is a residual pressure valve.  What it does is to hold a
small amount of pressure (like maybe 7-10 psi) in the braking system.  Under
hard cornering, the front spindles bend slightly, which causes the brake
rotor to move relative to the brake pistons and push one of them back into
the caliper.  Without the valve, the brake pedal is low the next time you
use the brakes, which can be very disconcerting if you aren't expecting it.
With the valve, the opposing piston extends so both pads track the rotor and
no excess clearance is created.

However, I didn't like having the brakes drag even lightly, so I disabled my
RPV.  You have to really push the car hard to get into the spindle flex
problem; and even then it only takes a small pump of the brakes to get them
back.

A better solution IMO is "uncle jack's" bearing spacer kit (available from
TRF), but I haven't tried mine yet.

Randall