[TR] A-Type OD Disengaging Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 09:03:30 MST 2010

> Everything works well except that when I take it out of
> overdrive while going
> down a hill (in gear) it doesn't disengage the overdrive for
> about 10 seconds
> when I flick the switch.

Most likely, there is a bit of swarf caught in the tiny hole in the side of
the operating valve, item CT42 here:
http://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6bluebook/95.php

When the OD is disengaged, that hole bleeds oil from the operating pistons
to allow the clutches to move back to the direct drive position.  While the
pistons are moving, the clutches are not engaged and only the sprag clutch
in the tail drives the output.  When you have power on, the sprag clutch
make it seem like direct drive engages immediately, but in an overrun
condition (like going downhill), the sprag clutch freewheels (making it seem
like you are still in overdrive).

The cure unfortunately involves pulling the tunnel, but at least you don't
have to pull the OD.  Undo the plug (item CT46) and fish out the spring,
plunger and ball (45,44,43).  Then straighten a paper clip and put a little
kink in it, so you can push it into the center of the valve and lift the
valve out.  (A magnetic "fish" tool will work as well, if you've got one
small enough).  Clean the hole and put it all back together, should be fine.
Some of the racers even enlarge the hole, but I don't.

Weak springs and/or worn clutches may be part of the problem, but check the
hole first.

-- Randall