[TR] Going to look at a TR250 - ballpark value please.

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 29 16:29:50 MDT 2009

Mark:

I too always wanted a 250 and bought one in January of this year.  After
stripping it down and seeing what I had gotten into, I sold it for an expert
to restore.

My advice is, unless you are an established restorer (I have restored two
bad TR3s, but this I couldn't handle), pay more and get a better car to
begin with - advice which applies regardless of what this car is like.

Body and frame is what matters.  Look especially at the trailing arms for
the rear suspension but the frames need a thorough inspection if you are to
avoid a nreplacement.  Look at the inner sills - if they are gone, I'd be
careful.  If you have to get professional help, a restoration can become a
nightmare.

Then all the obvious stuff:  is it straight?  previous repairs?  how does
the bonnet align?  is the boot salvageable?  I wouldn't even worry about the
mechanical stuff - it will likely all have to be replaced.

I paid $750 for my car and sold it for the same.  A parts 250 is probably
worth a grand and a restorable car easily $2000.

I look forward to what the rest of the list thinks - feel free to disagree.

Andrew Uprichard