[TR] TR] 2-speed wiper wiring diagram

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 21:30:34 MDT 2009

Anyone that's still interested,

Spent the evening trying to figure out how the 2 speed wiper worked. Finally
figured out the that second "winding" isn't a field winding at all. It's
just a resistance wire that, when it's in series with the field winding,
limits the current through it, weakening the field and producing the high
speed mode. This high speed mode is produced by grounding only the red/light
green wire. When both the brown/light green and red/light green are
connected to ground simultaneously, the resistance wire is shorted, the
shunt field current is increased because it now has a full 12 volts across
it, and the motor runs at slow speed.  Another clue to the function of the
resistance wire and proof that it is not a field winding is that it cannot
in itself cause the motor to turn, even w/o a load. This condition is
produced by connecting only the brown/light green wire to ground. When you
do so, nothing happens. Well, it does hum, draws a few amps, but doesn't
turn.

Took me a while, but age has something to do with not being able "think
outside the box". I kept trying to make sense out of my observations based
on the supposition the both windings were field windings. They're not.

I have tested 3 of these motors. All work in the same manner.

If you check out the dash switch on a TR4A or a TR250, I'll bet that the
first position, the "slow" position, connects both the N/LG and R/LG wires
to ground. The second position, "fast", only the R/LG to ground.

Ed