[TR] Interesting problem identified

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Sep 28 12:25:21 MDT 2009

My '73 TR-6, with about 87K miles on it, developed an interesting problem.
The oil level started to rise.  You may remember an inquiry I made a month
or so ago, about the possibility of a leaky fuel pump.   Tests to the
cooling system confirmed that it was not leaking into the oil (or anywhere
else, thankfully).   Bill Mack, my mechanic came over to give me a hand
because I didn't want to drive the car if it would cause engine damage.   We
tested to see if the carbs let fuel into the engine as it sat, but they were
tight.  There was no evidence of gas getting in by the fuel pump either.
And the flame test on the dipstick was negative.   So what was making the
oil level rise?  It went up nearly a quart.

Then Bill observed that when the engine started, there was a rattle and when
the oil level was checked shortly after the engine was stopped, it was
slightly low.   Bingo!  The increased oil was due to oil draining from the
filter.  It points to wear in the oil pump and probably to bearings.   It
was a great puzzle that he solved and I wanted others to know about this odd
situation.    Now to throw money at this problem until it goes away.  8-).

Ron L  (Who still has that slightly sprung '58 TR3 bonnet if anyone needs
it)