[TR] Removing radiator without removing apron on TR3A?

Steve Ball banjonut at verizon.net
Sun Sep 27 11:24:43 MDT 2009

All,

Removing the radiator with the cowl in place can be done.  Before I ever got
my TR3A it had been in a front-end crash.  The owner's idea of a repair job
included welding and brazing the fenders to the front cowl, eliminating the
fender beads, but also making it impossible to remove the cowl.   The next
owner never had enough money (or support from his wife) to restore it back
to it's original condition, so he just lived with it....including the
problem of removing the radiator for a repair.  After he did the job, he
told me he removed it "downward", somehow working it around the frame and
other obstructions.  As I remember, he cursed a blue streak while talking
about it, and the only comment that's fit to repeat to the list was "it
wasn't easy".

As a matter of interest, the first thing I did when I got the car was to
restore the bodywork to the stock configuration.  We cut the welded fenders
off, and we've repaired the whole front-end mess.  The car is still a work
in progress with much of it in primer, and the body guy is now working on
the rear of the car which was also welded...presumably to match the front
end.  I'd like to have a few words with whoever thought it was a good idea
to weld it all together.  It probably only took them a couple of days to do
it, but it took us weeks to undo it and repair the crash damage the right
way.

So...it can be done, but good luck.

Steve Ball
Lompoc Ca