[TR] TR4 "Sputtering"

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Sep 18 11:42:46 MDT 2009

> The little screws which spear the wires do not make a very good
> contact
> with the carbon core and eventually fail

I agree; first place I'd look.  A simple test, worth doing at every tune-up
IMO, is to use your DMM to measure the resistance from the terminal inside
the cap to the connector for the spark plug (cap & wires removed from the
car, obviously).

If you do find a bad wire, best to replace the rotor as well.  A bad wire
puts extra electrical stress on the rotor, and a carbon track is virtually
impossible to see.

-- Randall