[TR] Oil Pressure

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 17 10:53:37 MDT 2009

I think we may be mixing general "rule of thumb" with specific application
here.

If I recall past discussions correctly, the Spit 1300 in particular had a
problem with spinning a rod bearing (#3 ?) for no obvious reason at high rpm
(way above original redline).  Running extra-high oil pressure was the
workaround Kas found for that problem, on that particular engine.  Even if
it led to other problems, like rapid wear or power wasted in the pump; the
most important thing when racing is to finish the race (not be "Beaten by
Equipment").

Or maybe I've got that tangled, as the 1500 also had oiling problems.

Anyway, my point is that it is a mistake to take advice given for a specific
engine and assume it applies to all engines.

Also, racing modifications frequently don't translate well to the street.
You can get away with a lot in an engine that gets torn down every 100 miles
or less; but that gets kind of tedious on the street.

Randall