[TR] Burned Exhaust Valve

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 01:41:25 MDT 2009

Art,I was intrigued by your issue and in a quick web search found this -to
me- helpful link.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar1192.htm

It explains, as did Randall, that exhaust valves must be seated properly.
They get much hotter than inlet valves and dissipate heat through their
contact with the valve seat. So poor seating = more heating, sometimes to
the point of failure. So if the guide is OK, how is the seat?

Water jacket failure around that cylinder would also cause heat build up.
You mention the head gasket was OK. Did you use silicone goop in its
installation to seal it? My PO used to. I've had the head off twice (for
different reasons) and each time have fished out with forceps both blue and
orange gobs of goop in the water channels. He clearly had no brand loyalty
where goop was concerned.

Other reasons for failure are discussed in the link: too lean mixture,
detonation, pre-ignition, among others.

Brian