[TR] Brake master cylinder and bleeding the brakes.

Wayne rengrave at verizon.net
Sat Sep 12 16:59:25 MDT 2009

I think I need a new brake master cylinder, I rebuilt the old one but I was
not happy with the
bore surface finish after I honed it. The finish was not very smooth and when
I assembled
the plunger and new seals, I pushed the piston in and it would just sit
there.
I had to bang it on the work bench to send the piston back to the front of the
bore.
I had plenty of brake fluid in the bore when I assembled it but it still would
not return
to the front of the bore on it's own.
I was hoping it would move once it was flooded with fluid on the car,
but.........

I managed to bleed the rear brakes with gravity, however the front brakes
would not bleed,
I tried pumping the pedal (which didn't feel right) and the fluid in the
reservoir would not
go down.

I think the piston is stuck at the rear of the bore in the master cylinder and
therefore is blocking
the fluid from the reservoir to the piston and the pipes. When I push the
pedal I'm not feeling
resistance. it's not a smooth travel.

I thought the PDWA could be blocking the fluid, but I think it lets fluid go
by no matter where
the shuttle is located inside it.

So, I think it's time to order a new M/C.
Any suggestions where I should go? TRF, Moss, BRNW or have mine rebuilt by a
pro?

Wayne
73 TR6