[TR] ZDDP Info

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Sep 10 20:57:02 MDT 2009

On 10 Sep 2009 at 18:04, thenicholls at verizon.net wrote:

> The oil is a synthetic, and I have seen many, many posts on
> the migration to synthetic and it just scares me...
> List, don't crush me.

Crush you?  Never.  I will however relate my conclusion about
synthetic oil.  Two(?) years ago I switched the GT6 over to
synthetic, first Valvoline then Mobil-1 because it was easier to find
a higher viscosity.  The only problem I've experienced was after the
last oil change the oil pressure light would flicker at idle, but
only after the engine was thoroughly hot.  As I had not seen that
before I thought it was the oil but eventually remembered that I'd
also lowered the idle dramatically as an experiement.  For various
reasons I ended up pushing it back to about 1000rpm, and the
flickering disappeared.  I have never seen any evidence of leaking
from the engine.  It has not seemed to disappear or burn off.  Of
course I haven't taken the engine apart either but, knock on wood, I
have had no reason to.  As far as I can tell, it just does what it is
supposed to do.  I would trust the chemists at either Valvoline or
Mobil to know what they are doing far more than I would trust myself
or any I-read-it-on-a-website report.

Just my experience.

--
Jim Muller