[TR] ZDDP Info

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Thu Sep 10 17:04:09 MDT 2009

Bill,

Of course, Red Line is going to tell you that.  The oil is a synthetic, and I have seen many, many posts on the migration to synthetic and it just scares me.  I already have a drip rug under the 72 TR6 to check fluids as we speak.

I will post to the list my latest project test.  I changed the oil at the start of summer with Castrol 5W-20 that it has had for 37 years, and added a bottle of ZDDP.

I requested a test kit from BlackStone Laboratories.  It was free but I have to pay a few dollars for analysis.  When I change my oil for the winter, I am sending a sample to them.

I will share with the list the complete analysis when it comes back.  The fact that Charles and TRF have now started to market and sell the stuff and what he wrote about it, that he is adding it to his current oil tends to make me think I am going in the right direction.

List, don't crush me.  I know this is a sore subject and don't want to debate it.  Let me pay for the analysis because I am really curious and the list has saved me many $$$$ (please don't close it), so I want to give back.

As for British car shops in the Washington DC area, one says Redline, the other says Castrol and no ZDDP.  For me, I will let the test decide.

Hope this helps!

Craig H. Nicholls
72 TR6
Vienna, VA