[TR] Low Oil Pressure and Engine Noises

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 6 17:58:18 MDT 2009

> Can I just remove the main
> caps and rotate the top one out?

Yup, that's the idea.  Do them one at a time, so the crank is still
supported.  I flattened one of the lower inserts and used it as a drift to
start the upper ones out a little bit.  Then I was able to pinch the end
against the crank and turn the crank to roll it out the rest of the way.

> I seem to recall there was a notch on one side of the
> bearing that matched the cap/block so they wouldn't spin. Is
> re-install the
> opposite of taking them out?

Right again.

> And, if the bearings are oversized isn't there usually some
> sort of stamping on them (eg .01)?

Yup, generally the undersize in .001" (eg 010 or 020 etc.).  However, I
would still suggest a final check with Plastigage, if you replace the
inserts.  Call it cheap insurance.

Randall