[TR] TR oil pump.. and crank timing gear

carlsereda carlsereda at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 13:20:01 MDT 2009

Thanks for forwarding tips Jim and Randall (and anyone I might have missed),
Disappointed that this NOS oil pump rotor is of the "soft shafted, unpinned"
variety.
But tossing is cheaper compared to later failure. Rotor seemed soft as well.
I also have a NOS crank timing gear.. it seems softer than original too.
('ping' sound and 'file' test compared to original).
Where can one get a properly designed and hardened crank timing gear??? I know
BPNW sells a good trio set (gears and chain) but I already have a NOS cam gear
from Roth Brother's British that pings like 'tool steel' and is 'blackened'
for rust protection and was in a Stanpart box with cosmoline, etc. And I have
an AE boxed TR timing chain and it looks real good too - every link is marked
AE! So a soft crank gear seems like a bad idea... Anyone test a TRF TR timing
gear lately?
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74