[TR] a peculiar electrical puzzle

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 1 16:15:02 MDT 2009

> Have any of you ever experienced something like this?

Kind of.  But it's always been some sort of metallic FOD for me.  On the
Stag it was the headlight 'dimmer' switch, the FOD turned out to be tiny
bearing balls that had worked their way out of the column bearing and into
the switch contacts.  The first time I only heard the noise it made as it
fell out while I was disassembling the control head; second time I managed
to find the ball on the carpet underneath.

Another time it was a strand of wire that had gone astray, so blackened by
the heat that it appeared to be a thread of cloth.

Anyway, my point is that IMO wet spider webs or whatnot would not cause
smoke at 12v.  Certainly they can conduct some, but not that much.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98722

-- Randall