[TR] Fwd: Oil Pan Leak

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Sat Oct 31 10:26:22 MST 2009

I am overjoyed today in that I finally got my car up on a lift in order to
clean and very closely examine what I believed to be a faulty rear-main seal
(brand new Moss kit).  Now it looks like the oil is leaking from the second
bolt in from the corner(driver's side). I REALLY hope this is right!!

My questions to the list are this:
- First, the guy that built the engine used some type of sealant that has
VERY SECURELY glued the alloy sump to the block.  I think they need this
stuff to attach the tiles to the Space Shuttle!  I can see that it is black
from the squeeze-out around the edges.  Any idea what it is and the best way
to get the sump off without damaging it?
- The bolts now in the pan are several lengths but the manual shows that all
to be 3/4", save three(3)
- The slave bracket & breather pipe clip bolts(2) to be 1-1/4" in length
- A sump to front sealing block bolt(1) to be 5/8".
I this correct?
- Also, is there any oil passage that these rear-most bolts could have
intersected with to cause the leak?  If so, what is the remedy?
- Lastly, I have the alloy sump, does this make any difference in the bolt
lengths I should use?

Many thanks in advance.  And, if this is indeed the cause of my oil puddle
misery my humble apologies to Moss for all of my evil statements of the
past.