[TR] Windshield Installation Summary and Tonneau Cover Snap Question

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 29 05:10:27 MST 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 11:03:26 pm Ben Zwissler wrote:
> I got a lot of responses to my question about windshield installation
> and sealing.  Thanks to all that responded.  The overwhelming number of
> respondents said they didn't use any sealant for their windshield
> installation and didn't have any trouble with leaks.  So that's the way
> I'm going.  There was about an even split on those who said they had a
> professional shop do it, and several comments that the shops in their
> area wouldn't do it at all or wouldn't guarantee against breaking the
> glass it if they didn't provide it.  I've done some searching and am
> going to try it myself using the "string trick" to pull the seal over
> the frame lip.  The glass is not perfect and if it breaks I'll buy new
> and go the professional route.  (33 years ago at age 16 I did this
> myself on my first TR4A and didn't break anything.  I remember nothing
> about how I did it, but I'm smarter now, right?)

Ben,

I went that route with my TR4 (using a used windshield glass) and I lived to
regret the move.

What I thought was a decent piece of glass turned out to be a piece of crap
when the sun shinned a certain way. I replaced it with a new pane from TRF.

The 6 project received a new pane as well.

It is a lot of work installing the glass and you only would want to do the job
once. I believe TRF glass is only about 150 + shipping.

> Another question.  As I prepare to install the windshield I need to
> replace the tonneau cover snaps that attach to the windshield bolts on
> top of the dash.  Its not clear to me where these fit in relation to the
> bolt, the round washer or the shiny triangular piece covering the
> flange.  My guess is they go under the round washer and above the
> triangular piece.  Anyone got a dissenting opinion?

I believe that is correct. My 4 is currently in storage.

It is a good idea to chase the threads on top of the dash with a tap before
you install the windshield. And use some anti-seize. Once the windshield is in
place, those bolts are difficult to get started. Make sure threads on the bolts
and the welded nuts are clean and sharp.

Bob