[TR] Oil pan leak

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Tue Oct 27 19:30:13 MST 2009

A number of years ago I was between engines, so to speak, while
autocrossing.  What I had was a 200 dollar almost a parts car
squaretail Spit.  That was actually the car I took to the Seattle
VTR convention, '93 I think it was.

Anyway, the thrust washers were toast, the crank was already
chewed up, but my  "real" engine wasn't ready.  So every
weekend before running I'd drop the pan and put in fresh
thrust washers.  It wasn't that difficult.  I used a blue Hylomar
type stuff on the pan gasket, and it came apart with no trouble,
and went back on with no trouble, no leaks.  I think it was
called Flange-Seal or Torque-Seal, can't remember, got it
from Pegasus.  It was great stuff.

Of course, on my last run at the VTR autocross I was working
on a killer run, going into the last hairpin the thrust washer
fell out, screwing up clutch action, it took maybe 0.672 seconds
for me to fumble with the shift to first, and I missed FTD by
*that* much.  If the thrust washer had waited until after that
crucial downshift....

Anyway, a pliable, non-hardening compound on a standard sump
gasket works quite well.  Spend some time making sure it is flat,
the areas around the bolt holes tend to warp and cause sealing
issues.  Hammer them flat.

mjb.