[TR] free wheel def

John Cohen jmcoh at comcast.net
Mon Oct 26 07:27:51 MST 2009

I had a 1972 SAAB 95 wagon that had the free wheel feature.  It was a T
handle located on the firewall just under the dash.  My understanding of the
free wheel was always that it was less about engine lubrication and more
about driving on snow and ice in a front wheel drive car.  When going down a
steep hill on snow in a lower gear, there was the chance of the front wheels
sliding and causing loss of control.  The free wheel prevented this by
disengaging the wheels from the transmission when you were coasting.  For
those of us in snow country the car was a legend.  I have many fond memories
of plowing into a turn on a snow covered road under full power, using the
e-brake to steer the rear wheels through the turn.

John Cohen
Rutland, VT
76 TR6