[TR] TR4A Windshield Installation

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 25 15:21:52 MST 2009

On Sunday 25 October 2009 02:41:47 pm Ben Zwissler wrote:
>      I'm about to install my windshield glass on my TR4A and I'm looking
> for advice on whether to use sealant and what type of sealant to use.
> There was sealant between the glass and seal on the old seal, but its
> not obvious that there was sealant between the seal and the frame.
> Also, when I asked my local auto body supply shop for sealant, the only
> thing they had was a urethane sealant in a caulking tube for "modern"
> windshields where no rubber seal is used.  Assuming sealant was used,
> what type of sealant have people had success with?
>
> I'm tempted to just not use any since I won't be driving regularly in
> the rain anyway.  Of course, planning doesn't always stop the rain....
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Ben......
Ben,

I had the professionals install both my TR4 and TR6 windshields using new
glass and rubber seal from TRF. For a cost of 80 $ each, I just couldn't see
trying to install the glass myself + install the plastic - chrome piece. They
only used the rubber seal + the chrome - plastic piece, no goop etc.

The 6 is still a work in progress but the 4 has seen gale force storms at
least twice since I finished the restoration driving between 55 and 60.

I have to say that absolutely no rain found it's way into the interior of the
car. This includes from the window sides as the original AMCO top seals just
fine all around. Big difference between my 3 and the 4 as far as rain is
concerned!

Both the 4 and 6 seemed to have some black sealant in the channel where the
rubber seal goes but I don't believe it is required.

Also, unless you are an "expert", I would advise you take the frame, glass,
seal + the plastic chrome piece down to your local auto glass shop and have
them do the job.

Bob