[TR] Car Harmonics

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 12:06:58 MDT 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, thenicholls at verizon.net wrote:

Dave,

I have the Bell stainless system on my 1972 Triumph TR6.B  It sounds exactly
like the original exhaust, and the folks that installed it for me at a local
British car shop said it was the easiest and best fitting system they had ever
installed.

There is a distributor down in Texas that sells them, I see one on Ebay once
in a while.

I have had no issues with it, and it looks like it day the day I took it out
of the box.

Hope this helps.

Craig Nicholls
Vienna, VA

On Oct 20, 2009, pethier at comcast.net wrote:

> Car companies spend millions tuning out resonances in modern autos.
> But
> I think most of the racket comes from the exhaust system. The Falcon
> system
> on my TR6 is particularly bad. I don't think it is so much the noise
> coming out of the pipe as it is the walls of the muffler vibrating.
> The mild
> steel mufflers are made with heavier gauge steel and don't resonate as
> much but
> the Falcon designers decided that since Stainless doesn't rust they
> can get
> away with thinner material. They were right and the muffler has
> lasted 13
> years but the down side is I will probably replace it for other
> reasons.
> But that is a round tuit yet to be got.
> Dave

I have heard from several sources that the Bell stainless systems are superior
in quality and fit to the Falcon. The TransAmeriCan Stag used a Bell system,
and I was pleased with its sound when I rode in and drove it. Don't recall any
annoying resonances, but my memory was never any good.

You may have noticed at Triumphest that TR44SUE is louder than your bagpipes.
Sue is getting tired of setting off car alarms with the glass-pack system that
Chris Murphy commissioned at the Midas shop in San Antonio. A Bell system may
be in its future. Anybody know the best way to buy one in the USA?

Meanwhile, how goes the battle to either move your Triumph home or secure it
in Colorado for the winter?

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L 1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban 1994 Miata C-package 2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
http://www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs at autox.team.net