[TR] TR4A Crankcase Breather Valve

Michael Godley mgodley at tiac.net
Mon Oct 19 13:11:34 MDT 2009

" I've been having troubles with my front SU carburetor idling to fast.
I've  made sure there are no leaks and there is nothing hanging, but the
carburetor reuses to go less then about 2000 RPM.  I then plugged the hose
from the intake manifold to the Crankcase Breather Valve and the RPM dropped
sharply.  I assume there is a lot of air getting through this system.
How do I checked the whole system to see if the breather valve is
functioning?  Can I get rid of it?"
_________

I took of the breather valve after having the same problems and used a small
inexpensive K&N Filter designed for crankcase breathers.  No increase in oil
leaks, and assume this is doing a reasonable job of eliminated crankcase
pressure.  Believe a TR4 style crankcase vent tube would have better
venting, and long term I am going to do this in conjunction with an oil
separator or similar vent filter....but this works and looks OK and I was
able to set a nice smooth idle at 800 RPM .  Check out the Rubber Base
Crankcase Vent Filters at the following link
http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

Michael Godley
65TR4A
mgodley at tiac.net